Women around the United States tried to burn off body fat by following some version of the Grapefruit Diet. (also known as the Hollywood Diet & the Mayo Clinic Diet)
Dismissed as a fad, the theory behind the Grapefruit Diet was that if you ate half a grapefruit or drank a glass of grapefruit juice with each meal (while reducing your caloric intake down to 800 calories/day), you would lose weight.
And while the 1970s version of the Grapefruit Diet did wonders for grapefruit farmers, it wasn’t very successful at delivering long term weight loss.
Fast forward to 2010….. and the latest scientific research which suggests that eating grapefruit contains phytonutrients that protects the body from acids that make us sick, tired and fat.
Naringenin, an antioxidant flavonoid which chelates dietary and metabolic acid, is derived from the bitter flavor of grapefruit and other citrus fruit, may cause the liver to chelate acid and release fat while increasing insulin sensitivity.
- Normally, after a “normal” meal (consisting of carbs, fats & proteins), your blood is flooded with the metabolic and dietary acid called sugar.
- This boost in blood acid or sugar results in the activation of your Liver X Receptor Alpha – LXRα.
- Which results in the production of healthy fats by your liver to bind up the increased acidic sugar for long term storage – ie belly fat, saddle bags, love handles, etc…. The body does this to protect itself from excess dietary or metabolic acid.
The chelation of the acid sugar is good but if not eliminated through the bowels, urine or skin it ends up on you belly, thighs or buttocks.
And, up until this latest research into Naringenin, the only way to prevent this from happening was by reducing your intake of carbohydrates – via fasting or eating low carbohydrates.
But, with Naringenin, you would be able to increase your carbs while still receiving the health benefits of eating low carb:
- acids being released from your fat cells….
- resulting in the PPARα receptor being activated in your liver…
- leading to your body acid stored in the fatty tissues being broken down, while also…
- causing a reduction in over-all cholesterol production, which is created to bind up toxic acidic sugar.
And that’s not all.
Another benefit of Naringenin is that your PPARγ receptor is activated – resulting in an increase in sensitivity to insulin.
Taken together, all of this good stuff adds up to:
- No more Type 2 Diabetes
- No more high cholesterol
- No more love handles
Naringenin – remember the name and the incredible delicious organic pink grapefruit from the Rancho del Sol and the pH Miracle Living Center.